Sound masking favors the privacy of conversations and avoids accidental eavesdropping, creating spaces for more productive work that allow employees to focus on the task at hand. Sound masking is the process of adding a non-intrusive background sound low level for reduce the intelligibility of human speech and the distractions acoustics of the environment.
How does sound masking work?
Acoustic masking hardly noticeable and it sounds similar to the airstream, but it's specifically adjusted to the frequency and amplitude of speech to make it less intelligible.
The sound is introduced through speakers installed in the ceiling, creating a sound veil.
Acoustic masking is often reduce the area in which speech is intelligible from about 15 meters to about 5 meters.
Workers can continue to collaborate with their colleagues, but they can are no longer distracted by conversations on the other side of the office.
Minimal increase in productivity³
- Increased retention of information 90% 90%
Increased ability to remember series of numbers⁴.
Increased ability to remember words⁴.
Top reason for employee dissatisfaction in office environments
of employees are dissatisfied with their level of verbal privacy.
Noise distractions are driving employees crazy (that's why many of them wear headphones).
Constant interruptions to conversations make employees less productive
Sensitive data is communicated and heard in the work environment, and is required by law to be protected.
1. Mark, Gudith and Klocke, "The Cost of Interrupted Work: More Speed and Stress", Proceedings of the SIGCHI Conference on Human Factors in Computing Systems.
2. Haapakangas, Helenius, Keskinen, Hongisto, 9th International Congress on Noise as a Public Health Problem.
3. Brill, BOSTI Associates, "Debunking Widespread Myths about Workplace Design".
4. Haapakangas, Haka, Keskinen, Hongisto, "Effect of Speech Intelligibility on Task Performance- An Experimental Laboratory Study", 9th International Congress of Noise as a Public Health Problem.
5. Source: National survey conducted by Harris Poll on behalf of CareerBuilder from Nov. 4 to Dec. 2, 2014.
Let's work together
If you have any doubt or need, whether you are an audiovisual integrator or an end customer, talk to us and we will advise you on the solution that best suits your needs. Without any commitment.
Contact with us
Write us, call us or visit us at either of our two locations, Seville or Madrid.
At both locations you will find a showroom where you can explore our solutions.